Why taking Action is so important
WHAT ABOUT ACTION?
As an entrepreneur everything around you will be about action. Taking action using the skills you’ve learned is what makes it all tick. Here at the Entrepreneur Academy we teach you how to take action and how to motivate others to take action. We are looking at the risks some actions might bring and how to move forward if you’re not sure where your actions will take you.
Let’s have a look at each area related to action and what this will bring to you:
Going for it!
Taking the Initiative
This subject can be divided into three core sections: being responsible, working independently and taking action. Taking action is what drives a successful entrepreneur – and in this section we focus on:
- Initiating processes that create value
- Taking up challenges
- Acting and working independently to achieve goals, stick to intentions and carry out planned tasks
Prioritising, organising and following up
Planning & Management
Having a clear plan and being able to follow through is the basic. But entrepreneurs always discover new areas and not everything can be planned ahead in time. To deal with this, an entrepreneur needs to learn to quickly adjust without losing sight of the planned goal. In this section we focus on:
- Setting long-, medium- and short-term goals
- Defining priorities and action plans
- Adapting to unforeseen changes
Making decisions and dealing with uncertainty
Coping with ambiguity, uncertainty & risk
This follows the previous section and focuses on how to prevent uncertainty or at least reduce it to a minimum before committing to a direction. It also covers the actions you’re planning to take and the impact of those actions. In this section we focus on:
- Making decisions when the result of that decision is uncertain, when the information available is partial or ambiguous, or when there is a risk of unintended outcomes
- How to include structured ways of testing ideas and protoypes from the early stages to reducing the risks of failing within the value-creating process
- Handling fast-moving situations promptly and flexibly
Teaming up, collaborating and networking
Working with others
Most of the time we need others to help us achieve our goals. That means motivating others to take action, understanding how to build teams, communicating well and knowing how to network. All this is a big part of entrepreneurship and in this section we focus on:
- Working together and co-operating with others to develop ideas and turn them into actions
- Solving conflicts and facing up to competition positively when necessary
Learning by doing
Learning through experience
A skill is much more than knowledge. It requires practice and experience. This is all part of growing to become a successful entrepreneur. Creating the right habits and processes requires you to test what works and what needs improvement. This, in return, requires practice. In this section we focus on:
- Using any initiative for value creation as a learning opportunity
- Learning with others, including peers and mentors
- Reflecting and learn from both success and failure (your own and other)
Find help from our Q&A Podcasts
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
I’m really excited that you’re ready to dive into entrepreneurship! Understanding the importance of learning the skills, what to look out for, and how to practice them is a major step and improvement for any entrepreneur, and I want you to be a great entrepreneur.
I know that when new to entrepreneurship, it’s likely you’ll have many questions. This is where our Q&A Podcasts can help you. Listeners, just like you, send through their questions – and I answer them.
Here are the most popular questions on entrepreneurship – and my answers! If you don’t see your topic here, then send us your question to be answered in one of the next Q&A podcasts!