On all our blogs, videos, podcasts and other content, we offer the option and encourage you to comment on the content of the blogs. To avoid any misunderstandings about this feature, we created this Comment Policy.
As you know, Social Media and the Web are all about conversation. But without a few simple ground rules, that conversation can turn into a shouting match that discourages others from entering into the fray. So here is our comments policy. By posting on our blog, you agree to the following:
- You may comment without registering, but you will need to provide your name (nickname is fine) and a valid email address. Your email address will not be published.
- You may post follow-up questions. If you have a question, chances are you are not alone. Others are likely thinking similarly. Therefore, I would rather receive your comments on my blog than via e-mail. It is a better use of our time to address everyone at once rather than answer several similar e-mails.
- You may disagree with us. We welcome debate. However, we ask that if you disagree with us — or anyone else, for that matter — do so in a way that is respectful. In our opinion, there is way too much shouting in the public square to tolerate it here.
- We reserve the right to delete your comments. This is our website. We don’t have an obligation to publish your comments. You have the right to express your opinions on your website, not ours. Specifically, we will delete your comments if you post something that is, in our sole opinion, snarky; off-topic; libellous, defamatory, abusive, harassing, threatening, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or which otherwise violates or encourages others to violate my sense of decorum and civility or any law, including intellectual property laws; or “spam,” i.e., an attempt to advertise, solicit, or otherwise promote goods and services. You may, however, post a link to your site or your most recent blog post.
- You retain ownership of your comments. we do not own them and we expressly disclaim any and all liability that may result from them. By commenting on our site, you agree that you retain all ownership rights in what you post here and that you will relieve us from any and all liability that may result from those postings.
- You grant us a license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, nonexclusive, and royalty-free. You grant us the right to store, use, transmit, display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to a blog, in a book, a video, or a presentation.
In short, our goal is to host interesting conversations with caring, honest, and respectful people. We believe this simple comments policy will facilitate this.