There is a lot said about people who reached 50 years of age. For one, you should have made it by now. You should have created a successful career and reached a high position within your company. Have a nice car in the garage of your almost paid-off house in the suburbs.
Based on many different surveys, that is more or less what people in their 30’s see when they think about men and women in their 50’s.
How about you? What do you see?
Statistically, reality looks very different. The above descriptions fit better to an advert than real life. Looking at Eurostat statistics, you can see that most people are nowhere near that description. Most ’50s are worried about their future, their pension, and how they’re going to pay for everything.
How about you? Are you living your ideal life?
If you haven’t come anywhere near your ideal picture, it is time to do something about it.
It’s a clear indicator that whatever it is you’re currently doing is not working. We know now that a significant factor of influence in your life is the environment you live in.
The environment is the people around you, the place you live and work and the habits you’ve created for yourself. Often a change in one of those areas has a huge impact on your life and if done right can be the thing that changes your life in the right direction.
You might think that it’s far too late to change your life with 50, but let me assure you, this is not the case. But to make this happen requires you to make some changes to your current life.
The importance of your environment over your life if well documented and has been confirmed in all areas and all ages.
If you put a convict into an environment where everyone is motivated and creates a good life for himself, the chances that this convict will change and follow the others is very high.
In contrast, if you put a motivated and positive person into jail, the chances that this person will become a criminal is exceptionally high. The environment has a significant impact on your life, on what you do and on what you think.
This might sound extreme, but it shows the impact your environment has. We regularly interact with our environment, and that influences our behaviours and believes. If you want to think different go into an environment where people think different. You will observe changes in yourself after a very short period. I don’t mean giving up your family and friends, but being pro-actively and choosing the people you want to surround yourself with.
If you reached 50 and you worried about your future, seek out people who can help you create that future for yourself. These are usually people who have been where you are and made it. There are far more than you think. It’s not going to be easy. It’s hard work to change 50 years of habits, believes and lifestyle. But if you have enough of being worried about your future and to depend on everyone else for the things that happen in your life you will need to make the first step.
Here are a couple of pointers for you to look at when you’re ready:
- Don’t go over the top and jump straight into the cold water. It takes time to change your life if you want to stay in control. You don’t need to give everything up. Start with the little things first.
- Define the most important aspects of your life you want to change right now. Write down in a list style which parts of your life have to change. Don’t write down the solutions, just the point. If you’re not happy with your job, just right down “job”. Don’t write “Have to find another job”. That’s not how you create solutions; that’s how you create even more problems. Just write down “Job”. That’s fine for now.
- When you created your list, choose the one point you can deal with right now. The easiest one will do. We will come to rest later.
- Now find the perfect environment for the point you’ve chosen. To stick with the job example, have a look at all the jobs out there you would love to do. Have a look at what it means to do this job. What are people who do this job like? The idea is to put yourself into their position. If you would have that job tomorrow, what would that be like? If doing that job feels right to you, put it on the list beside the point “Job”.
- Do the same with all the others and work yourself step by step through the process of designing your new life.
- Get the most important people in your life involved. This will not be easy, and you might encounter some opposition. That is okay and normal. For most change is not an easy thing to deal with. Just make it like a game where everyone can play his or her role in this new fictive environment. Play life as you discover it with the important people around you and enjoy the process. Through this game, you will learn a lot about yourself and the environment you live in, and you become aware of the changes that have to happen. Very important is not to get upset over the mistakes you’ve made in the past. They are part of you and important for your future.
This should point you in the right direction. Whatever time it is you have ahead of you, make the best of it and enjoy every moment.
What are your next ten years going to look like?