Why we need ideas and opportunities
WHAT ABOUT IDEAS & OPPORTUNITIES?
Let’s face it, what would life be like without ideas and opportunities. But how can we distinguish good ideas and opportunities from bad ones? And how often are we distracted by unbeatable offers and so-called opportunities of a lifetime? Being able to see the difference and understanding why a great idea or opportunity might just come at the wrong time is a very important skill for every entrepreneur.
Let’s have a look at each area related to ideas and opportunities and what this will bring to you:
Using your imagination
Creating an eye for great opportunities and being able to quickly judge if it is worthwhile looking deeper into it, is one of the core skills every entrepreneur should have. In this section we focus on:
- Identifying and seizing opportunities to create value by exploring the social, cultural and economic landscape
- Identifying needs and challenges that need to be met
- Establishing new connections and bringing together scattered elements of the landscape to create opportunities that create value
Developing creative and purposeful ideas
Often we need to be creative and proactive when it comes to new ideas, especially when you focus on new developments. Understanding that a good idea is based on the value it creates and being able to see and predict that value is another core skill. In this section we focus on:
- Developing several ideas and opportunities to create value, including better solutions to existing and new challenges
- Exploring and experimenting with innovative approaches
- Combining knowledge and resources to achieve valuable effects
Working towards your vision of the future
What is your future going to look like? At the beginning of your entrepreneurial journey it might be difficult to see the impact you can have on your own future, but just by practising some basic skills you can take charge. In this section we focus on:
- Imagining the future
- Developing a vision to turn ideas into action
- Visualising future scenarios to help guide effort and action
Making the most of ideas and opportunities
Understanding for which segment an idea might have the highest value lets you focus on the right area. This will make a decision to pursue an idea or opportunity far less risky. In this section we focus on:
- Judge what value is in social, cultural and economic terms
- Recognise the potential an idea has for creating value and identify suitable ways of making the most out of it
Assessing the consequences and impact of ideas
Ethical & sustainable thinking
What is the impact of your actions? As entrepreneurs we have a responsibility towards our community, society and the environment. To fulfill that responsibility we need to know what the impact of our actions is and might be – now and in the future. In this section we focus on:
- Assessing the consequences of ideas that bring value and the effect of entrepreneurial action on the target community, the market, society and the environment
- Reflecting on how sustainability of long-term social, cultural and economic goals and the course of action chosen
- Acting responsibly
Find help from our Q&A Podcasts
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
I’m really excited that you’re ready to dive into entrepreneurship! Understanding the importance of learning the skills, what to look out for, and how to practice them is a major step and improvement for any entrepreneur, and I want you to be a great entrepreneur.
I know that when new to entrepreneurship, it’s likely you’ll have many questions. This is where our Q&A Podcasts can help you. Listeners, just like you, send through their questions – and I answer them.
Here are the most popular questions on entrepreneurship – and my answers! If you don’t see your topic here, then send us your question to be answered in one of the next Q&A podcasts!