That’s the feeling I have right now with one of my projects. And I know I am not alone in this.
Many times entrepreneurs of all ages and experiences come to me with this frustration. They are all looking for a way forward. They feel like working and working, talking to people, potential partners or customers but not getting any sales or contracts.
Why is that?
This might have different reasons for different people, but here is a list of the most common ones:
- false expectations
- missing strategy
- lack of planning
- lack of skills
- no solution provided
- just doing it for the money
The list could go on and on, but I think you get my idea. Of course any of those are not the answer to your questions. It’s like feeling ill and finding out that you have a cold. Now you know you have a cold, but that still won’t get you anywhere. If you really want to find a solution and a way forward, you’ll need to step back and look at your project with a different perspective.
Go back to the basics
- Re-do your business model canvas and check out every aspect of it for flaws
- Look around for people who are doing successfully what you are trying to do and find out why it works for them
- Find out if you can work for them until you’ve got it and established yourself in the market
- If it is something completely new, make sure you’ve done your homework and you know that whatever it is you offer solves a problem someone is willing to pay for
Most importantly, get some distance and don’t get too personally involved. A project is a project and needs a life on its own. Your job is to support the project so it will give you back whatever it is you expect. If it doesn’t work you need to let the project go and start something new. But make sure you give it a real go before you walk away.
Join a mastermind group in your area or online. If facilitated properly you will get back lots of new ideas and motivation. And for most, the point of being accountable for your goals and actions to others, makes them move and brings new optimism into their projects.
See it as your chance to create something extraordinary!